Wednesday 6 March 2013

Paper Folding: I may be a little obsessed.

This blog finds me 2 thirds (ish) through the first year of my HND (HNC) in textiles. One day people will talk about me the way they do about Stella McCartney and Frank Gehry toady. But until that time though I have a Graded unit to pass so I can progress on to the second year of my course and complete my HND. For graded unit I selected the Tri-dimensional trend.
Sculptural shapes are reshaping women because of the manner in which they stand away from the body. Double faced scuba style fabrics are softly folded into asymmetric, organic forms of creases to give an urban, engineered sharpness. Lighter weight volume is explored in rhythmic layers and die cut in simple geometric shapes for modern strata effects.

Reading about the trend brought various things to mind including architecture, biology, nature and origami (The Japanese art of paper folding). While doing a bit of research on paper folding and manipulation I came across this book.
It was a little bit tricky to get into but now I've got it I think I'm hooked. Here's just a few examples of the samples I've made.


This has given me a number of ideas for design development. Taking these folded papers and then cutting into, adding, tearing, piercing, colouring and burning.

So if anyone hasn't seen me for a while and sees a pile of folded stacking up in the corner please come and rescue me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment